My photo
Sydney, Australia
portfolio | precedents | process [since 2012]

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

dsdn 111 | line (wire) form - two more iterations

The eighth and ninth iterations came about after coming into the studio and talking to Nan.

I knew my wire form was unresolved and a routine question about the slightly rounded corners on the form ended with a new perspective on my whole project. The word I was looking to represent is

focus

which the card form had already illustrated exactly. I talked through a few adjustments and half an hour later I had produced this form which I felt was the most successful version so far.

eighth iteration



If I wanted to further the concept of my form containing or defining the space, the process was better served with the use of alternating 'ribs' which interlocked. I sketched a diagram to represent my idea:

alternating rib idea sketched up

Even though these changes resulted in an asymmetrical form, it is still balanced and unified. The form looks wholly deliberate now especially with the addition of the one line of black thread which allowed me to reincorporate the spine idea and really emphasise the idea of 'focus' by drawing the viewer's eye down the line of thread to the focal point or focus of the object.The repetition of the rib forms strengthen and unify the form. The implied tension of the thread (even though it is not load bearing) seems to pull the piece together and ultimately define the interior space.

Ninth iteration: Focus
The word 'focus' better encapsulates my original ideas around the tiled bathroom image too as it is more positive than 'cornered or 'trapped' yet bears some relation to those ideas.

This form is the most successful of the three I produced for the project. There are clear design principles used to support my intentions. It is asymmetrically balanced, (it sits really comfortably contrary to the lopsided shape), it uses repetition (in the 'ribs') and tension (with the thread).

No comments:

Post a Comment